Meetings

Jump to meeting minutes

2013

March 27, 2013
March 6, 2013
January 30, 2013
January 16, 2013
January 8, 2013

2012

November 21, 2012
November 7, 2012
October 17, 2012
October 10, 2012
September 26, 2012

Meeting Minutes for March 27, 2013

Chelsey Millen, President
Staci Stryde, Vice President
Aaron Larter, Secretary
Nicole Wright, 1st  Year   Liaison
Allyson Roussy, 2nd Year Liason
Katie Quinn, Web Manager
Joel Yorston, Treasurer
Denise Cameron, Volunteer

Meeting starts: 11:44 am.
Previous meeting minutes approved.

OLD BUSINESS

  1. Books are being collected in class until the day of the sale (April 4th). Student services have been contacted in regards to making a poster to advertise the sale. Tables have been acquired for the day of the sale.
  1. Staci will continue managing the details of the sale.
  1. Chelsey will bring the cash box for the day of the sale.

NEW BUSINESS

  1. On April 3rd at 12:30 pm we will have our next guest speaker. Erica Smith, who is the president of NSALT. Liaisons will email classes.
  1. The end of the semester group outing will take place at 5pm on April the 18th at the Celtic Corner.

Meeting adjourned 12:03 pm.

Meeting Minutes for March 6, 2013

Chelsey Millen, President
Staci Stryde, Vice President
Aaron Larter, Secretary
Allyson Roussy, 2nd Year Liason
Katie Quinn, Web Manager
Joel Yorston, Treasurer
Colleen Trenholme, Volunteer

Meeting starts: 11:30am.
Previous meetings minutes approved.

OLD BUSINESS

  1. Previous events were enjoyed by all in attendance. Valentine’s Day fundraising efforts raised 46 dollars total between the sale of valentines, and the jelly bean guessing contest.
  1. There is still no knowledge of the current bank account balance. Joel will contact the bank over March break.
  1. Staci will be emailing everyone details about our upcoming book sale. We will look to have all donations gathered by the 28th of March, with the book sale scheduled for April 4th.  Staci will also be looking into possible advertising opportunities with the NSCC student association council.

NEW BUSINESS

  1. Chelsey has been in touch with the Nova Scotia Association of Library Technicians (NSALT) in regards to their providing a guest speaker for the month of March. Currently we are hoping to schedule them for either the 20th or the 27th. We will hopefully have a date selected after March break.
  1. There is a tentative end of the school year LIT group outing planned for April the 10th with a location TBA.
  1. Plans have been put in motion regarding the handing over of responsibilities within the CLA student council. Katie will be printing out all passwords and instructions for our online sites. Chelsey will be bringing in the cash box and CLA binder at a later date. In mid-April, Joel and Staci will go to the bank to switch over the bank account information.

Next meeting: March 20th  at 12:30.
Meeting adjourned 11:58 am.

Meeting Minutes for January 30, 2013

Chelsey Millen, President
Staci Stryde, Vice President
Aaron Larter, Secretary
Nicole Wright, 1st  Year   Liaison
Allyson Roussy, 2nd Year Liaison
Katie Quinn, Web Manager
Colleen Trenholme, Volunteer

Meeting starts: 11:49am.
Approval of meeting minutes.

OLD BUSINESS

  1. Lara MacAllister has been confirmed as our guest speaker for the month of February. She will be speaking about her duties as the head of graphic novel collections for the HPL. This will take place on February 20th. Chelsey will be in touch with a personal contact in the field of archiving as a potential guest speaker for the month of March.
  1. Mock-ups of potential Valentine cards have been made. Liaisons will show off cards to classes in advance of Valentine’s Day. When students purchase these cards they will also have the opportunity to guess the quantity of a jar full of jellybeans in hopes of winning the contents.
  1. We still do not have an accurate balance for the bank account. Joel had attempted to set up online banking to increase ease of access. Unfortunately an account had been created by a previous year’s student chapter so access could not be obtained without the proper passwords. Joel will attempt to resolve this by getting in touch with the bank’s customer service.

NEW BUSINESS

  1. In regards to advocacy, Stacy will get in touch with student services about obtaining the rights to set up an information kiosk within the school. At this kiosk we will distribute pamphlets containing information about the current plight of Library and Archives Canada. We will also have petitions on hand for students to sign. An e-mail list will also be created for those students interested in staying up to date on advocacy issues. This information session is tentatively planned for early March, and might coincide with our book sale.
  1. February 27th there will be a group reading of banned books as a form of involving ourselves with the Freedom to Read Week. Students will be encouraged to bring books from home that have been challenged or banned. CLA members will provide materials as a jumping off point.

ACTION ITEMS

  • Nicole/Allyson to email classes about the guest speaker on Feb. 20 – Lara MacAllister on graphic novels at HPL.
  • Nicole/Allyson to let classes know about Valentines sale/candy jar ($3/Valentine $1/guess for the candy jar.)
  • Nicole/Allyson to email classes about the Freedom to Read week event on Feb. 27 at 12:30.
  • Joel to call the bank and get the password for online banking.

Next meeting: February 13th at 12:30
Meeting adjourned 12:22 pm.

Meeting Minutes for January 16, 2013

Chelsey Millen, President
Staci Stryde, Vice President
Joel Yorston, Treasurer
Aaron Larter, Acting Secretary
Allyson Roussy, 2nd Year Liason
Katie Quinn, Web Manager
Denise Cameron, Volunteer
Colleen Trenholme, Volunteer

Meeting starts: 12:30 pm

Approval of meeting minutes

OLD BUSINESS

  1. Guest speaker for January has been emailed, but has yet to reply. We will start looking into back-up plans. The special collections librarian for Dalhousie will be contacted.
  1.  There is still interest in having a book sale. It has been decided that it will be tentatively held the week before March break, we will attempt to gather donations from students, and faculty beforehand.
  1. There will be two fundraisers centered around Valentine’s day. Sample cards will be made that students can order, then have delivered to other students. At the same time we will also have a candy jar contest, wherein participants will try to guess the quantity of a jar full of jelly beans.

NEW BUSINESS

  1. The rough estimate of the CLA bank account is 250.00. Joel will be setting up an online account, to allow for easier balance inquiries.
  1. It has been decided that our advocacy program will utilize information and services provided by www.savelibraryarchives.ca to help guide our program. We will also be looking into posting up advocacy information within our classroom.

Next meeting: January 23 at 12:30
Meeting adjourned 1:08.

Meeting Minutes for January 8, 2013

Chelsey Millen, President
Staci Stryde, Vice President
Samuel Silburt, Secretary
Nicole Wright, 1st Year Liaison
Allyson Roussy, 2nd Year Liason
Katie Quinn, Web Manager
Aaron Larter,  Volunteer
Danielle Hoar, Volunteer

Meeting starts: 9:30am.

Approval of meeting minutes.

OLD BUSINESS

APPROVAL OF MINUTES: The minutes from the previous CLA board meeting held on November 21, have been approved.

CHRISTMAS PARTY: Response to the Christmas party was uniformly positive. Both the group trivia and informal board games tables were appreciated, and everyone seemed to enjoy themselves.

NEW BUSINESS

EVENT DAY/TIME: It was agreed that Wednesday at 12:30 is the best time for both classes. Meetings and events will be held at this time going forward.

JANUARY GUEST SPEAKER: A representative from Halifax Public Libraries has tentatively agreed to speak in January. This person will be contacted to confirm their availability and set a date and time.

FUNDRAISING IDEAS:

    1. Book sale: It was agreed that the student chapter will advertise for and accept book donations for a book sale to be held in late February. Posters will be created to solicit donations, and a donation box will need to be set up. The library is a possible location for the donation box, but this will need to be confirmed. The SA will need to be contacted to confirm a date for book sale and to post advertisements.
    2. Valentine’s: The CLASC discussed creating Valentine’s cards to sell to classmates as a means of fundraising.
    3. Candy jar: The CLASC discussed setting up a candy jar and having people donate to guess the amount of candy.

IDEAS FOR THIS SEMESTER: It was decided that the second half hour of CLASC meetings will be dedicated to discussing and planning advocacy efforts. These can be joined with fundraising efforts (i.e. informing people about current issues – federal library cuts, for example – while doing fundraising activities, or fundraising for library-specific causes. The specific advocacy activities will be discussed and decided upon at the next meeting, and then classmates will be invited to join efforts.

ACTION ITEMS

  • Chelsey will email the HPL representative to confirm a January presentation.
  • Nicole and Allyson to check with classes to see if anyone is interested in creating book sale posters. The deadline for this is January 25.
  • Chelsey to contact SA to confirm book sale advertising and date.
  • Chelsey to check with library staff about keeping a donation box in that area.
  • Everyone will research current library issues and come armed with ideas for advocacy initiatives at the next meeting.
  • Allyson will email the link for the literacy program in Spryfield she discussed before next meeting.
  • Chelsey will email the information regarding ELL volunteers currently needed within HPL before next meeting.

Next meeting: January 16 at 12:30.
Meeting adjourned 12:13.

Meeting Minutes for November 21, 2012

Chelsey Millen, President
Staci Stryde, Vice President
Samuel Silburt, Secretary
Nicole Wright, 1st Year Liaison
Allyson Roussy,  2nd Year Liason
Katie Quinn, Web Manager
Aaron Larter, Volunteer

Meeting starts: 11:32am

Approval of meeting minutes.

OLD BUSINESS

APPROVAL OF MINUTES: The minutes from the previous CLA board meeting held on November 7, have been approved.

PLANNING FOR NOVEMBER GUEST SPEAKER: Ruth Cordes (Canadian Electronic Library) has been invited as a guest speaker.  She will speak on Wednesday, November 28, 2012 at 11:30am.  Nicole and Allyson have been asked to relay this information to first and second year students.  Snacks will go as follows: Stacy will bring cookies, Katie will bring “finger sandwiches”, etc.

ADVOCACY COMMITTEE: An advocacy committee will meet separately from the regular student chapter meetings in an attempt to support CLAs advocacy work and to get classmates involved in the library community (decision based on majority vote).  However, we are still as of yet undecided, so Nicole and Allyson will check with classes about interest level in the committee.

NEW BUSINESS

CHRISTMAS PARTY PLANNING: The Christmas party will be held on December 5 at 3:30 PM.  The Christmas party will involve a small trivia event, and CLA members can volunteer to make their own questions and submit them online.  The trivia will have a Jeopardy template, with the following categories (written beside is the individual responsibile for the given category).

Books – Staci
TV/Movies – Katie
Music – Aaron
Sports – Allyson
History – Samuel
Famous animals – Chelsey

We have decided to provide a pizza and potluck for the event.  The budget will allow for the purchase of 8 pizzas: 2 vegetarian, 2 pepperoni, 2 “the works”, 1 cheese and 1 donair pizza.  For the potluck, students are asked to “bring pop”.  An action item for Nicole and Allyson is to remind students about the potluck.  Also they should tell students about the book swap.

ACTION ITEMS

  • Staci and Katie need to bring food for our November guest speaker.
  • Nicole and Allyson will check with students concerning their interest in the advocacy committee.
  • Staci, Katie, Aaron, Allyson, Samuel and Chelsey will generate questions for the Christmas party trivia game.
  • Nicole and Allison will remind students about the potluck and the book swap.

There will be no further meetings until January.
Meeting adjourned 12:13.

Meeting Minutes for November 7, 2012

Chelsey Millen, President
Staci Stryde, Vice President
Samuel Silburt , Secretary
Nicole Wright, 1st Year Liaison
Allyson Roussy, 2nd Year Liaison
Katie Quinn, Web Manager
Joel Yorston, Treasurer
Denise Cameron, Volunteer
Aaron Larter, Volunteer

OLD BUSINESS

Minutes: The minutes from the meeting on October 17, 2012 have been approved.

  1. Halloween party: The Halloween event was discussed. Positive feedback was received from those who attended, and attendance levels were good. Some students who did not attend suggested they would have preferred the event had it not been centred around the murder mystery game. This will be taken into consideration for future events.
  2. October guest speaker: The guest speaker event held in October was discussed. There was a high turnout, and those who attended found the presentation both informative and enjoyable. There was a good mixture of formal presentation and group discussion. It is agreed that this will be the format for future guest speaker events.
  3. Coffee Maker: A coffee maker was purchased for the class from the CLA account. It is noted that the coffee maker is to be cleaned and stored in the classroom, and it will be CLA’s responsibility to ensure that things are kept clean.
  4. NSALT Conference: There was a low student attendance at the recent NSALT conference. This was discussed and suggestions for future conference attendance are drawn up.

 NEW BUSINESS

  1. November Guest Speaker: Speaker was emailed as a potential guest for November. No response has been received yet.
  2. Christmas Party: Tentative plans were made for a Christmas event. Possible suggestions include a small, informal trivia event, a book swap, pizza and potluck, and party hats. A tentative date for this event is December 5.
  3. Fundraising: Some fundraising ideas were discussed, and it was decided that fundraising efforts will be made early in 2013.
  4. Advocacy Ideas: A large part of CLA’s mandate is to advocate for libraries, especially federal libraries at the moment. The Student Chapter would like to make more of an effort to be involved in this. A committee will be formed, and will hold a dedicated meeting to discuss advocacy efforts. Suggestions discussed so far included letter writing, setting up a kiosk at the college and possibly with local universities, as well as possibly drawing up a petition.

ACTION ITEMS

  1. Chelsey will send a follow up email to potential guest speaker. If no response is received by Nov. 16 efforts will be made to contact another guest speaker.
  2. Chelsey will distribute copies to CLA members of CLA’s toolkit for advocacy regarding federal libraries. Interested CLA members will contact Chelsey to form a committee.

The next meeting is to take place Wednesday, November 14 at 11:30am.

Meeting adjourned 12:15pm.

Meeting Minutes for October 17, 2012

 IN ATTENDANCE

Chelsey Millen, President
Staci Stryde, Vice President
Samuel Silburt , Secretary
Nicole Wright, 1st Year Liaison
Allyson Roussy, 2nd Year Liaison
Katie Quinn, Web Manager
Aaron Larter, Volunteer
Danielle Hoar, Volunteer
Colleen Trenholm, Volunteer

Meeting starts: 11:29am

Approval of meeting minutes.

OLD BUSINESS

APPROVAL OF MINUTES: The minutes from the previous CLA board meeting held on October 10, have been approved.

BANKING INFORMATION/BALANCE: The CLA’s bank account balance has been ascertained.  Current funds sit at $434.05.

OCTOBER GUEST SPEAKER: The CLA has reminded members that Lana Pinsky will be a guest speaker to the first year class on Wednesday, October 24th at 11:30.

COFFEE MAKER: The CLA has considered the suggestion of providing a coffee maker to second year students of the records management class.  Chelsey needs to e-mail the facilities manager to ask permission to house this coffee maker in the records management classroom.

NEW BUSINESS

HALLOWEEN PARTY PLANNING: As mentioned previously, there is space for 8 participants in the murder mystery game.  Nicole and Allyson will remind students of the opportunity to participate and students should e-mail Nicole or Allyson of their desire to participate sooner than later, so that Chelsey has time to arrange costume preparations.  So far, there are only 3 people interested in participating in the game.

SNACKS/DECORATIONS: It was pointed out that this year’s Halloween party would consume much less (if any) of the CLA budget on snacks.  We have decided to have a potluck this year; that is, students should bring in their own food contributions to the pool, for all to enjoy.  Decorations will be used from last year’s supply.

NOVEMBER GUEST SPEAKER SUGGESTIONS: Some suggestions were made for guest speakers for the month of November. It was suggested that Harvey be asked to supply a gift for one or more of the guest speakers.

ADDED NOTES: Nicole and Allyson were asked to remind first year students via e-mail of how to register for and where to attend the upcoming NSALT conference.  It is being held on Friday, October 26th at the Best Western in Chocolate Lake (Halifax).

ACTION ITEMS

  • Chelsey still needs to e-mail the facilities manager concerning the admission of the coffee maker.
  • Nicole and Allyson will remind students of the availability of future candidates for the murder mystery game, and will forward names to Chelsey, who will organize the costume arrangements.
  • Stacy will remind Harvey to supply a gift for upcoming guest speakers.
  • The deadline for all action items is the next board meeting as specified below.
  • Nicole and Allyson will remind students of the upcoming NSALT conference.

The next meeting is to take place Wednesday, November 7th at 11:30am.

Meeting adjourned 11:51.

Meeting Minutes for October 10, 2012

IN ATTENDANCE

Chelsey Millen, President
Staci Stryde, Vice President
Joel Yorston, Treasurer
Samuel Silburt, Secretary
Nicole Wright, 1st Year Liaison
Allyson Roussy, 2nd Year Liason
Katie Quinn, Web Manager
Denise Cameron, Volunteer
Aaron Larter, Volunteer

Meeting starts: 11:36am

OLD BUSINESS

APPROVAL OF MINUTES: The minutes from the previous CLA board meeting held on September 26, have been approved.

BANKING INFORMATION: There is still no confirmation as to the CLA’s actual account balance.  Chelsey must also send the bank a letter to notify them of the change in leadership since last year.

CONSTITUTION: Prior to this board meeting, Chelsey had sent a completed draft of the CLA Constitution to all members via e-mail.  During session, all members were called upon to voice any concerns/objections/etc. to the current draft, and none were made.  The CLA Constitution in now officially ratified.

HALLOWEEN GAMES PURCHASE: Regarding the Halloween Murder Mystery Game, Chelsey has produced a working identity/scenario list for the game.  An American-based retailer for the game has been located, and its cost is $25.99 (US), equivalent to ~$24.50 (CA).  The game involves a total of 8 characters, and classmates who aren’t participating will have the opportunity to observe.  We had decided the date for this Halloween Murder Mystery Game would be Thursday, October 25, at 3:00 in room 5150 (recently changed to Wednesday, October 31, at 2:30).  Nicole will communicate this information to students shortly.

WEBSITE/SOCIAL MEDIA: Katie has set up the web board for students of the program, though it was mentioned that not many people have made comments as of yet.

NEW BUSINESS

GUEST SPEAKER: Lana Pinsky, the Children’s Reading Support Coordinator at the Halifax North Public Library, was invited to speak to first year students on October 24, at 11:30 in room 5150 following classes.  The CLA has decided to buy some refreshments (eg. Veggie tray, pop, etc.) for the meet and greet following the event.  In addition, Harvey has offered to provide a bag of coffee.  Nicole will communicate these details as well to first year students.

IDEAS GENERATED FROM THE WEB BOARD: Danielle Hoar, a first year student, has posted some great suggestions on the web board.  The CLA will consider facilitating a “book swap”, where students can voluntarily donate books they own to a central pool and other students can take books they find of interest.  The surplus books could then be donated to charity.  Alternatively, students can exchange books one-on-one.

ACTION ITEMS

  • Chelsey needs to send a letter to the bank notifying them of the new leadership positions.
  • Chelsey/Joel have yet to purchase the Halloween Murder Mystery board game.
  • Nicole will communicate details of the guest speaker and Halloween party to students.
  • The deadline for all action items is the next board meeting as specified below.

The next meeting is to take place Wednesday, October 17 at 11:30am.

Meeting adjourned 11:59.

Meeting Minutes for September 26, 2012

IN ATTENDANCE

Chelsey Millen, President
Staci Stryde, Vice President
Joel Yorston, Treasurer
Samuel Silburt, Secretary
Nicole Wright, 1st Year Liaison
Allyson Roussy, 2nd Year Liason
Katie Quinn, Volunteer
Denise Cameron, Volunteer

Meeting starts: 11:32am

Approval of meeting minutes.

OLD BUSINESS

BANKING INFORMATION: The bank account balance has been extended from last year.  It was noted that the actual balance is likely less than what is stated due to spent funds from last year that weren’t accounted for on the balance sheets.

NEW BUSINESS

IDEAS FOR THIS YEAR: As part of the ULA Conference, the CLA has endeavoured to collect books for homeless and battered women’s shelters around the city.  In accordance with its annual fundraising effort, the CLA will also host a book sale at the Waterfront Campus.  Books sold in this year’s event will be drawn from the pool of books that were not sold in last year’s event.  The date for this event is yet to be determined.

The CLA is also planning to coordinate various guest speaker events for students.  Some potential guest speakers were discussed.

The CLA is also planning a holiday event for October.  The event will be a “costume party / murder mystery” game in which participants are assigned roles and must question each other and gather information in order to determine who among them is the designated murderer.  Joel will determine the exact buying price, which was estimated at around $20 and will facilitate purchase.  The CLA is also hosting a trivia event similar to last year, with the topic being libraries.

The CLA will also host a mentorship program, in which 2nd year students are “buddied” with 1st year students.  The pairing process will be facilitated through the CLA website: students can either become a mentor or connect with one.  Nicole Wright has been asked to present the details of the mentorship program to first year students.  Lastly, a future general meeting has been suggested and details will be recorded on the CLA website.

WEBSITE/SOCIAL MEDIA: The address for the new CLA website is (nscccla.wordpress.com), and will provide much of the information discussed above. The CLA also has a facebook page (NSCC CLA Student Chapter) and a twitter handle.  Katie Quinn will be the web manager, otherwise known as the [technical] “physician”, and will ensure that all students have access to posts on the blog.

BUDGET: Once again, there is money that is absent from last year, and the CLA will need to apply for more money in order to fund its current obligations.

CONSTITUTION: One important issue that was raised by Chelsey is the absence of a CLA constitution.  Last year, Molly Thompson, President of the CLA, considered drafting one but a working copy was never completed.  Chelsey is in the process of producing a draft that will be provided on the CLA website.

ADDED NOTES: The CLA will consider buying a class present for students of the program as a token of appreciation for student success.  It will also consider buying a CLA coffee maker for 2nd year students who have no access to the cafeteria following late afternoon/evening classes (such as records management).

ACTION ITEMS

  • Joel will determine the buying price of the mystery board game and facilitate purchase.
  • Katie will set up a forum for the mentorship program.
  • Nicole will announce to students the details regarding the mentorship program.
  • Chelsey will continue drafting a constitution for the CLA website.
  • The deadline for all action items is the next board meeting as specified below.

Next meeting to take place Wednesday, October 3 at 11:30am

Meeting adjourned 12:05

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

Upcoming events

Wednesday, April 18th @ 5:00pm - End-of-year celebration! (Celtic Corner).

Upcoming meetings

No more meetings this year. Check back in the fall!

What’s going on this month

March 2019
M T W T F S S
« Feb    
 123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
25262728293031

Follow us on Twitter!

%d bloggers like this: