- NOVA SCOTIA COMMUNITY COLLEGE STUDENT CHAPTER
WATERFRONT CAMPUS, 80 MAWIOMI PLACE, DARTMOUTH, NS
Meeting Minutes: September 9, 2014
Meeting Open: 11:20pm
President: Vicky Hirtle
Second-year liaison: Arissa McConnell
Treasurer: Simon Helliwell (acting secretary)
1) The current executive discussed establishing the first year executive and meetings:
- Vicky contacted Joanne Doucet and Joanne Hodder to discuss a good time to introduce first years to the roles that are currently open in the CLA for first years. This will take place at 8:30am on Friday, September 12, and the following week, the election for these roles will take place. The Vice President will not be elected until January.
- The executive has decided that CLA meetings will take place on Thursdays every week at 12:30pm, following the first year executive elections.
- The executive discussed some possible fundraising ideas for the year:
- CODE – Literacy for underprivileged children, brought up by Vicki.
- Brainstorming for further ideas will be continuous throughout the year.
- Vicky brought some ideas to the table about where to begin fundraising:
- Cherry Berry – A local option for partnership, sells frozen yogurt.
- Tim Hortons – Arissa will mention it to her manager and discuss it further when fundraising plans are have been fleshed out.
- The executive discussed possible activities for the year:
- Movie night – two a term, near the beginning and end, with attendees bringing their own snacks.
- Banned book week – Arissa will look into this, to see if there is a second one in the new year as not to make organisation rushed.
- Guest speakers – ideas regarding this will be brainstormed in the future if opportunities arise.
- Halloween party – in place of the CLA’s regular meeting at the end of October, the group will have a costume contest with three judges from the executive.
- Book sale – only one, in January. Weeding in preparation will begin in the fall.
Meeting Adjourned: 11:47pm